Thursday, September 25, 2014

Soul.

Although Palmerwood, naturally, maintains an on-site string quartet to play the regal baroque music I require whenever I walk into a room, I've got a real thing for rhythm and blues. REAL rhythm and blues. Not that lousy shlookh they play on the radio these days. But the real stuff, like Otis Redding, Maxine Brown, Sam Cooke, Booker T & the MGs, and my all-time favorites, Sam & Dave.

The kind of stuff that the Stax label put out in the 60's. Real rhythm and blues.

In fact, I love it so much that I myself, in my younger days, played the prodigal son, abandoning my hereditary aristocratic responsibilities as the Baron of Palmerwood, to hit the road as the frontman of a little-remembered act called "Little Jimmy Ray and the Bagelles."

Here's a photo of one of our gigs. I believe this was taken in Mobile, AL, in 1981.


That's me in front, my backup singers, the Bagelles, to the left, and my band to the right: Lou "The North Suburbs of Texarkana" Tubbs on the trumpet, Isaiah "The Illinois Central & Southern Railway Line" Dubuchet on the saxophone, and Yarnell "Shecky" Robinson on the triangle.

Boy, did we have some wild times. Actually, the band and the backup singers had some wild times. None of the Bagelles seemed particularly interested in me, except for Miss Berthella "Foghorn" Washington. Miss Berthella checked in at around four bills. She generally sat backstage, where no one could see her, and belted out the backing vocals. The rest of the Bagelles couldn't sing. They just stood there and looked good. And let me tell you, they did that job pretty darn well.

Tragically, the act didn't last long. Greil Marcus of "Rolling Stone"
described Little Jimmie Ray's songs as "long, irritating, offensive, and overly wordy monologues mostly about politics and religion. Also he has a kind of fixation about comic books. And other stuff no one really cares about. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that he's really white."

Dispirited, I trudged back to Palmerwood. But I'll always have the memories of those halcyon days on the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment