Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Staving Off the Doldrums

The tiny Palmerlet poppets, Intrepid Stella A. and Young Leo J., have, like so many American children, a disturbing tendency to fall into the summer screen doldrums. Those of us who have reached the point in our lives where mortality seems less an abstract concept than an inevitable and disturbingly rapidly approaching event are frequently bemused and frustrated by this.

I reached boiling point the other day after I heard the "Adventure Time" theme music playing for what must have been the 27th time that day. Enough was enough. Action, I decided, must be taken.

"FOR GOD'S SAKE," I shouted, throwing down my pipe, my snifter of 137 year-old brandy, and my leather-bound, gold-embossed, 15th century copy of "The Decameron" (and I'd just reached a good part, too) and stomping into the nursery, "TURN OFF THAT IPOD. AND THAT IPAD. AND THE COMPUTER. AND THE WII. AND THE NETFLIX. AND EVERY OTHER FLICKERING IMAGE ON A FLAT SCREEN. GO OUTSIDE. GET SUNLIGHT. GET FRESH AIR. IT'S SUMMER, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. NO ONE EVER SAID TO THEMSELVES, 'GOSH, WISH I'D SPENT A LITTLE MORE TIME PLAYING "ANGRY BIRDS" IN JULY' IN THE MIDDLE OF FEBRUARY. GO."

Well! I'm pleased to report that the Palmerlings heeded my gently-offered advice. Out they got. I hadn't quite expected that they'd put the inhabitants of the falcon-mews to quite the use that they did, but at least they're outside and active.


Even during rainy days, there's no reason to sit around like a pancake in front of flickering images. I've encouraged the tiny Palmerkins to use all the boundless energy and ingenuity of childhood to keep themselves amused when weather necessitates staying indoors. I'm pleased to report my efforts have been successful.




"Mens sana in corpore sano," as Juvenal said, "A healthy mind in a healthy body." Take a page from the small Palmerels' book, minions, and so long as the good Lord grants us health and mobility--stay active!

No comments:

Post a Comment